Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Consolidation issues leave school panel in the dark

Morning Sentinel, September 5, 2007

(excerpt) Frustration and anger over school administrative consolidation dominated Tuesday night's Winslow School Committee meeting.

The session, held in the Winslow Junior High School library, turned tense at times when the board discussed concerns raised by member Wendy Roy in an e-mail message she sent recently to fellow board members.

Roy made clear her biggest issue was the lack of information she was receiving on school consolidation.

"I'm just concerned," she said, "that I hear more from the public (about consolidation) than I do as a school board member."

Member Wendy Nivison supported Roy on that claim.

"I share Wendy's concerns," she said. "When I find out things from other people in the community before I hear them as a school committee member, I think that is embarrassing.

"I feel decisions are being made about what direction we are going (as a school system), and we haven't even met as a board."

School Superintendent Elaine B. Miller told Nivison she is just as unnerved by the pace of the state-ordered consolidation process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home